/

1. Pushing multiple keys to write texts. You had to type a key on the left and a key on the right and hold down a shift button all at the same time just to write "Hey," and you did it happily because the technology was so ~*CoOl*~.
2. When a key would get stuck and you couldn't use that letter anymore. God help you if you lost an "A." 
3. Ringback tones. Aka "I hate calling your phone because I have to listen to Mozart while I wait for you to pick up the phone. What are you, a dental office?"
4. T9. T9 was like the autocorrect of yesteryear, except it didn't know any more words than an eighth grader who never swore.

/

5. Phone charms. My fellow Cosmo editors swear this was a thing but I had never in my life seen something this upsetting.
/

6. Just getting a cell phone in the first place was a big deal. Most people didn't have them, and if they did, they were crazy-rich, so when you finally got one, it felt like a crazy-big deal.

/


7. Especially if it was a flip phone. Until owning a flip phone became socially unacceptable. And flip phones are classic, assholes. Especially if they also have a super-sweet antenna. 

/

8. Choosing one of, like, three ringtones, all of which sucked. Wouldn't it be funny if I had this weird spaceship ringtone? But it never was funny and I'd change it back, like, two minutes later. 

/
9. "Can I call you back after 9 p.m.? I'm almost out of minutes." Nine at night was when all my phone calls got so fucking bumpin'. Because then I was tapping into those sweet, sweet night and weekend minutes. It felt so freeing! Some people claimed they had unlimited anytime minutes but whenever they talked about that I just assumed they were lying/had sold a child to the devil to get them because yeah right. 
10. "Is that long distance?" If your phone number wasn't in my exact area code, it may as well have been in Tibet because there was no way I was paying out the ass to call that shit. 

Post a Comment

 
Top