Amitabh Bachchan: No drinking, no smoking, no aerated drinksLike me, I am sure there are many Indians who wonder what Mr Bachchan must be like inside his own house.

For instance, what does he eat, does he ever sit with his feet up on his sofa, is there ever a time he does nothing, would he ever sit with his family around him just watching Arnab Goswami'sNewshour? He is such a tall legend with so much aura that every time you are in his presence, you come back not asking any of this from him, but only come back a little more awestruck with India's biggest entertainer who is ever so hardworking, disciplined and so very humble. I am such a coffee junkie that I land up assuming that obviously everyone on this planet must be having coffee, so I confidently asked Mr Bachchan on his favourite coffee, given that my current obsession is the Vietnamese one. And to my shock, he said, 'I don't drink coffee, so I am the wrong person to ask. I stopped some years ago.' I couldn't believe it at least in my heart, though I tried not to show it on my face, and asked him, 'Sir, so what do you like to drink?' He said, 'I left drinking about 35 years ago. And a couple of years back, I left chai and coffee. And I don't drink aerated drinks.' I said, 'Oh! Then what do you drink sir?' He said, 'I have water, nimboo pani bhi peelete hainJ.' My face was now clearly showing my disbelief as in my mind, I couldn't think of anyone like that.


I asked him, 'Sir, are you fond of food?' And he immediately said, 'I am a foodie. There was a time I could kill someone to have a jalebi or kheer. But for the last few years, I have left eating chocolates and pastries and Indian sweets and paan and yes, also rice.' I said, 'Sir, is there more that you don't consume?' He said, 'And of course, I don't smoke and I have quit eating non-vegetarian.' I know that he is religious, so I immediately said, 'Sir, did you quit due to religious reasons?' And he gave me my final shock and said, 'I just left them on my own, not for any medical or health or religious reasons. It just happened and now, I have left it. It was more like a social compulsion to be holding a drink and a cigarette in your hand. And in the middle of one of these occasions, someone said to me, yaar, you will never be able to leave drinking and smoking. And I said okay buddy and through the glass went the drink and the cigarette. And that's it.' So I asked my final question. 'Sir aap khate kya ho phir?' He said, 'Hawa khaa raha hoon aajkalJ. I love Indian food, our desi khana and eat that every day.' Knowing that men are better cooks than women usually, I didn't want to leave any questions unanswered, so I asked him, 'Sir, can you cook?' He said, 'Paani ubal leta hoon.'

Post a Comment

 
Top